Monday 4 February 2019

THE CONTINUING DEFICIENCIES IN MY SMALL CITY

My sister had moved to her new house on the 2nd of January, 2002 in Kalinga Vihar ( An important residential colony of Bhubaneswar). That was just 17 years ago. 
The lane in front of her house after a few years hosted many potholes and soon there was no trace of black on top. For about five years, I see only a barren uneven dusty patch that is what is left of the lane. Today she had a feeling of celebration.
 They have offloaded some sand on the side of the lane. The lane now would be done up-- after years of neglect. That is not the lone lane of Kalinga Vihar , or, for that matter, many city lanes, that wears and suffers the forlorn look. The neglect is widespread. The hiatus between the city denizens and the city government keeps widening. There is widespread disconnect. Those lanes that are repaired, soon lose lustre and potholes appear after two years. The Black topped road soon don't look KALIA. 
I am yet to see the lane in front of my house in BJB Nagar renovated and I suffer rain-cuts, humps, broken manhole chamber-cover. And in the absence of a signage at the beginning of the lane, I keep explaining where I live ; but the OLA Driver would not understand. 
We are inept in keeping our city lanes in proper shape; we do not put signage indicating the lane number and house numbers. We display our inability to maintain a small sized but important Indian city in reasonable shape. 
The other day while my car stopped at the traffic light near the AG Office , I began counting the CCTV cameras installed on many poles around; but soon lost count.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment