Friday 26 October 2018

WITH THE OPHTHALMOLOGIST


Someone at the back was describing in detail how his companion performed badly in the test and didn't even read some alphabets and numerals rightly. His indictment over phone didn't stop at that. He, now in a derisive tone, even said how the companion read "U" as "O"; "M" as "N" "4" as "9" !! I shouldn't have enjoyed it; but being an ordinary mortal, I did.
Soon thereafter, someone from the Ophthalmologist's chamber showed up and announced my name. By then, I had spent close to fifteen minutes in the waiting hall. The Doctor, a young cousin of mine, looked at the report and smiled.
I came to know from him that the some of the functions of the Eye Field Testing machine are guided by artificial intelligence ( AI) that enables the machine to ignore three incorrect responses from the patient but records the vision to be deficient at a spot only when the same response is repeated the fourth time. He therefore advised me that when I sat before the machine next time, I should not be in a hurry and make false responses.
 He smiled again; this time to announce that my eyeball had strayed away from the target three times during the test. The Report however revealed my eyes to be in fine shape. The words of my young cousin were laced with advice and mild humour.
I looked at the nice picture of God on the wall of the Doctor's chamber and promised not to enjoy when someone's frailty is made fun of by an unkind person.
Three years ago, I had yet an interesting experience at this place. That morning my wife had an appointment with the ophthalmologist cousin. We went to him. His place was crowded. The long waiting hall had no vacant chair. We waited for a while and then got two vacant chairs.  A big screen- flat tv was beaming some programme on silent mode to keep the waiting crowd silent. Both of us were sitting quite many feet away from the tv set. The news scroll was about CBI raids at 18 places in connection with the Chitfund scam. A familiar name was showing repeatedly. His place had been raided as well.  Surprisingly I was able to read every moving alphabet on the screen from a great distance. I realised that even a person’s ageing eye could see well if he wants to read what he had been waiting for to read. In the process I had put my eyes to a vision test as well. I gave up my plan to show my eyes to the doctor. He checked up my wife's eyes and we were about to leave when my wife talked for a while about our cousin’s wife, their two children and his mother. Since there was no visitor waiting for him, we spoke for a while and I spoke to him about the on-gong CBI raid. I also mentioned about a very important person’s premises being raided. He was too busy with his patients to take note of the happenings in the world around. I told him how I came to know about this incident from the tv news as I was watching the television in the waiting hall. I also told him how the television set had helped me to read words showing in the television set. The experience was a vision test for me, I told him and suggested to him to remove the tv set as otherwise he may be losing patients like me. All of us had a loud laugh.



*******
24-10-2018

No comments:

Post a Comment