Sunday 8 July 2018

STORY OF THE THREE BANYAN TREES

For about a week, every morning I derive pleasure seeing all the three banyan trees in the temple garden on the three sides of the embankment of the temple-tank. They seem happy there. Some of the regular visitors to the garden by now know that the plants were made over by me to the ASI Horticulture staff in charge of the garden. 

A few days ago, in the morning, I got all three of them pushed into my tiny Maruti Ritz  car much against the wish of my driver and took them to the temple garden --- to be planted there to grow and provide shade and oxygen in the temple campus. The trees were with us for years; two at least for over 35 years and the third one for over 15.

The next morning I and my friend looked for the plants. They were gone and none of the staff would say where. I was hurt; so was my friend. We wondered how insensitive and discourteous some people could be. The plants were not only very costly but were part of us, being with us for years. 

I explored ways to retrieve them. I contacted the Director General, Archeological Survey of India, thanks to a wonderful functioning website of the ASI. The private secretary to the  DG took the call and I introduced myself. He was quite courteous and assured me to call back as soon as the DG returned to his seat. The call came after a couple of hours. Dr Rakesh Tewari, the DG, listened to me with patience and concern and promised to intervene.

The next morning the plants were back and two days later properly planted. My friend was happy but wondered whether it was possible for every one to access the DG and get relief. I agreed; but thought over the matter once again. 

The DG's phone would have rung indefinitely as it happens in some offices; the personal staff of the DG could have ticked me off as an unwanted intruder. The private secretary would not have called me back as is very normal in this part of the country. The DG could have been cold and tight lipped as we see nearer home with many mandarins.
 
Public offices need to be accessible; public servants need to be humane and courteous. These improve public confidence and quality of governance.

********

8th July, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment