Sunday 15 July 2018

THOSE NICE DAYS..


Years ago, in early part of 1969, while I was Sub Divisional Officer in BONAI of Sundargarh District (ODISHA), once I was returning to Bonaigarh after a tour to Gurundia ( A Block Headquarters) and met a few people on the road. A couple of them were on cycle. I stopped my Jeep to talk to them. We spent sometime talking. I looked at a smiling young man and asked him, "When do you sleep?" rather abruptly. The answer still rings in my ears. He was a bit confused at the question for a moment and then said, " when the Sun sets and it is dark."
His small universe veered around nearby hills, trees and the sky above. He slept when the Sun bid goodbye to him. Today I wonder if his home would have electricity. I don't think he would be so fortunate. Even if he is, I wonder if he would have power-supply. I wonder if he would have adequate stock of kerosene to light his home with at least two hurricane lamps for a couple of hours after the Sun had set if he has no power connection.
Gurundia area is reportedly getting affected occasionally by the maoists.
I remember the many nights we had spent in interior parts of the region. Once my wife and I had a nice dinner in quiet, outside a Forest Bungalow, at Tamda, under a Red Sandalwood tree. The peace and tranquillity of the area; the law abiding people and the sincerity of those people I remember today.
I remember the Revenue Inspector of Gurundia ( we had only one Revenue Inspector for the whole Block) who did not know cycling. Yet he was showing the best collection of land revenue in the Sub Division. Collection was over 99%.
********
15th July, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment